Thursday, May 31, 2012

Customer Service Gone Wrong

We have all received poor customer service from time to time, but the real issue is how does the company deal with your complaint. Here is a quick story about poor customer service and how the staff did not attempt to win me over with any customer service solutions.


I had gone to a cafe and ordered a large chocolate milk. This would seem to be a  simple request, but I could tell the employee was having a hard time understanding my request, so I repeated the order. Then the clerk asks me what size I would like, which showed me she was not listening, since I had already repeated large two times. I could tell this was going to be an interesting customer service experience. Sure enough the clerk brings out my order which is completely wrong. Instead of a large chocolate milk, they bring out some kind of hot drink with milk and coffee. So I then mentioned I had ordered a large chocolate milk and the clerk seems surprised. 


My discussion had attracted the attention of the supervisor, who had now come over, and again I mentioned what I had ordered. Finally the supervisor brings me the chocolate milk, but says this is 35 cents more than what the clerk had charged me. I was quite upset, as now we had spent far too much time on such a simple issue, and the supervisor did not apologize for the error, and did not offer to cover the extra 35 cents, as a goodwill gesture.


So I told the supervisor, I no longer wanted the milk, if they were not going to make any attempt at trying to recover from this poor customer service showing. The supervisor seemed surprised, and then said they will not charge the extra 35 cents. This was a very poor example of customer service recovery, as the staff were not apologetic at all, and still wanted me to pay the extra 35 cents. You would think 35 cents would be a cheap way to build customer goodwill. So as you can imagine I am left with a very poor experience from this cafe, and I have no confidence the supervisor really cares about keeping customers happy.


This is an example of poor customer service, that will not produce word of mouth customers. However, a better way to correct the issue would of been if the supervisor came over and apologized and waived the extra 35 cent charge, that would of been a much better way to handle this poor service. This would of been the minimum level of service recovery, but if they wanted to deliver exceptional service, perhaps they could of provided some free product or other promo, to show some goodwill that they really value my business. Businesses always need to strive for exceptional customer service delivery and you will gain many loyal customers who will reward your business with increased revenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment